Prep: 20-30 minutes Bake: 350ºF Cook: 13-16 minutes
Chocolate cupcakes are the perfect solution to the problem of fixing a sweet craving, but not wanting to indulge on a full cake. Cupcakes are extremely versatile, and taste delicious no matter the flavor! However, one of my favorite simple and easy cupcake recipe is a chocolate cake paired with a savory cream cheese frosting. Just to add a little drama, I love to sprinkle my mini chocolate chips on top of the frosting to add a decorative garnish and even more chocolate flavor. Adding the chocolate chips is completely optional, and can be substituted with any other garnish, but a topping will always make elevate your dish and allude to a higher skill level of baking.
To make these chocolate cupcakes perfectly, I would recommend using the OXO Good Grips Non-Stick Pro Muffin Pan. To learn more about this product, and other tools that I believe every baker should have in their kitchen, check out the Tools page.
In order to build the chocolate cake base, any chocolate cake recipe, or your favorite box recipe for chocolate cake, will do the job. One of my favorite homemade chocolate cake recipes comes from the website Crazy for Crust, which is run by a woman named Dorothy. Most homemade chocolate cake recipes use the same base, so you can never go wrong no matter which chocolate cake recipe you use. Enjoy!
Chocolate Cake Ingredients:
- 1 3/4 cup of sugar
- 3/4 cup of unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 2 1/2 cup flour
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil
- 1 cup of hot water
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup of buttermilk
- 1 Tablespoon of vanilla
- 16 oz of cream cheese
- 6 Tablespoons of butter
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 4 teaspoons sour cream
- 2 cups of powdered sugar
- Line cupcake tins with your favorite cupcake liners.
- Beat together the dry ingredients: sugar, cocoa powder, salt, baking powder, baking soda, and flour in a large bowl.
- Whisk together the wet ingredients: oil, eggs, water, buttermilk, and vanilla in a small bowl.
- Pour the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients. Mix well.
- Distribute batter into cupcake tins. I typically use a 1/4 measuring cup to evenly distribute the batter.
- Bake and let cool.
- Mix together cream cheese and butter.
- Add vanilla and sour cream.
- Sift and gradually add the powdered sugar, while mixing well.
- Pipe frosting as desired.
- Add chocolate chip garnish (optional)