Prep: 20-30 minutes Bake: 350ºF Cook: 55 minutes
Sour cream coffee cake has been a staple in my childhood. Growing up, when all three of us kids were still in the house, every Sunday morning my mom would make our Grandma Nut’s sour cream coffee cake. Coffee cake is the perfect balance between a sweet and savory cake. A mixture of cinnamon and sugar add a sweet, but also a savory element to this otherwise sweet treat of coffee cake.
The somehow dense, but still light and fluffy cake paired with the cinnamon and sugar flavors were an unbeatable duo. This coffee cake can be enjoyed either hot or cold and makes for a savory breakfast treat or a yummy dessert. My favorite drink to pair with this sour cream coffee cake recipe is a nice, hot cup of coffee. Although my grandma’s coffee cake recipe is simple and easy to put together, it does take a while in the oven to fully cook, so only make this coffee cake if you have a little extra time to spare. Enjoy!
- 2 sticks Oleo
- 1/2 cup of sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1/2 pint of sour cream
- 2 cups flour
- 1/2 Tablespoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon of baking powder
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 3 Tablespoon sugar
- 1 cup pecans (optional)
- Rub butter along the inside of an angel food cake pan
- Combine Oleo and sugar. Beat until light and fluffy.
- Add eggs one at a time. Beat well after each egg.
- Add sour cream and blend well.
- Sift flour, baking soda, and baking powder together and blend into sour cream mixture
- Add vanilla and blend well.
- Pour HALF of the mixture in pan and sprinkle with half of the topping mixture.
- Pour rest of the batter on top the topping in the middle, and garnish the top of the cake mixture with remaining topping mixture.
- IMPORTANT! DO NOT PREHEAT THE OVEN
- Bake 55 minutes at 350ºF
- Cool in pan for 15 minutes before removing.
- Put a plate on top of the cake and turn over for removal.